Monday, June 10, 2013

When Did That Happen? Or: Walt Turns 2

I just can't believe it. I have a 2-year-old.

When did that happen?

When did this tiny thing
Become this curious toddler
And then overnight, graduate to this handsome guy?
When?!

Since we had a big party last year, and Walt and I were gone until literally the night before his birthday, I decided to save myself a lot of stress  we decided to keep things low-key this year. I knew Walt didn't care about having a bunch of friends over. Instead, we dedicated the day to him and spent it doing things he loves to do and lavishing him with attention.

He woke up to a room filled with balloons, which is a tradition that we started last year and will definitely keep doing. He loved it. :)
Eventually he got tired of kicking balloons around and wandered into the living room to find a surprise waiting for him!
For now he just sits on it, but I think he'll get the hang of it soon. We gave him chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, and then talked to Grandma and both Grandpas while he opened his presents. He was totally spoiled, as always. He loves all of his new toys!
After presents we took him "swimming in the water," which is basically his favorite activity of all time. Since he's two, of course he threw a fit right before we left and said he didn't want to go. But we took him anyway and he had the time of his life. I forgot my camera, so you'll just have to trust me. He couldn't get enough and cried when we left, even though his lips were blue!

After a nap, we went and got him a helmet for his bike and then played at the park for awhile before coming home for his favorite dinner (pizza) and let him watch TV until bedtime - something we almost never do.
Oh, and this:

I am totally proud of myself. I finished decorating the cake minutes before we ate it, but Walt knew exactly what it was. ("Mouseketools!! Mouseketools!!")
Even though it was such a simple day, I know Walt had a blast and could tell that we were paying a lot of special attention to him. It was the perfect way to spend a second birthday. We love this kid so much and we feel completely privileged that we have been given the opportunity to be part of his life. I just marvel at how fast he learns things and his easy-going demeanor. He is one special boy and I'm so blessed to be his mom!

Happy Birthday, Walt!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Oh my gosh! He's so old! And so handsome! Happy birthday Walt!