Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Political Corner - same-sex marriage

Today’s topic: same-sex marriage

As a person whose religion opposes same-sex marriage, this issue is very important to me. I by no means think that it should be the only reason you vote for your candidate, but I do think that social values should count for something. Below is what I hope is a fair comparison:


McCain

Obama

Openly supports same-sex marriage?

No

No

Constitutional amendment to define marriage:

Opposes

Opposes

State constitutional amendments to define marriage:

Supports

Supports

Supports civil unions?

Uncommitted

Yes

Voting record

· S J Res 1: A joint resolution proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to marriage.

· HR 3396: To define and protect the institution of marriage.



  • No

  • Yes


  • No

  • No


If you are surprised by the close proximity of the candidate’s positions on this issue, you are not alone. I had ignorantly assumed that Obama supported same-sex marriage; I had likewise assumed that McCain did not support civil unions. I have so far found several conflicting accounts in McCain’s own words regarding his stance on civil unions – this is why he is listed as “uncommitted,” in my estimate. Obviously, you are free to draw your own conclusions.

In their own words:

“I believe civil unions should include the same legal rights that accompany a marriage license...
However, I do not support gay marriage. Marriage has religious and social connotations, and I consider marriage to be between a man and a woman. If I was President, however, I would oppose any effort to stifle a state’s ability to decide this question on its own. Whether it was a Constitutional amendment banning gay marriage or a bill like the Defense of Marriage Act, I would oppose such efforts. I think the President should do all he or she can to advance strong families. Whatever the make-up of the family, it is the President’s role to provide policies and leadership that enable the family to thrive.”
Barack Obama


“Stephanopoulos: So you're for civil unions?

John McCain: No. I am for ability of two -- I do not believe gay marriage should be legal. But I do believe that people ought to be able to enter into contracts, exchange powers of attorney, other ways that people who have relationships can enter into.”

Sources:

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_9664453

www.barackobama.com

http://pewforum.org/religion08/compare.php?Issue=Gay_Marriage

http://a4.g.akamai.net/f/4/19675/0/newmill.download.akamai.com/19677/anon.newmediamill/pdfs/obama.pdf

http://mediamatters.org/items/200611220001

http://www.votesmart.org

1 comment:

abby said...

Thanks for sharing. That is interesting. I am still on the fence about this issue so your info helps a lot.