Thursday, June 19, 2014

Favorite Things

Before becoming a mom of 2, I have to confess that I was completely terrified. I'm not sure what came over me (hormones?), but I had terrible anxiety and often dwelt on all the things I hadn't loved about the newborn phase. I was really worried about Walt and his reaction to having a sibling, worried I wouldn't be able to handle two kids, worried about working, worried about money, basically worried about everything.

My experiences so far (granted we're only 4 weeks in, so it's bound to get harder.:)) have been quite the opposite. Sure, life is a little busier, a little more chaotic, and little less about me these days. But it is also magical. Here are a few of my favorite things about our new normal.

Isannah is perhaps the easiest baby in the world. Unlike Walt, who screamed like the world was ending every time he woke up, she has a tiny little squeak that only really escalates if I can't get to her within 10 minutes or so.

Walt wants to hold "Baby Sister" all. the. time. And he is so very soft and careful. They are buds already.

Watching Landon with a little girl is more precious than I can put into words.

It has been marvelous to take a break from life and just be in the moment. When you have a new baby, people are so understanding and beg you to take time off from work, social obligations, cooking, cleaning, and all other responsibilities. I have enjoyed the last few weeks in countless ways. I hope I can carry some of that with me as we slowly resume our normal activities.

I have said it before, but I have the most amazing friends. Here in Seattle, my girlfriends have taken care of Walt, sent baby clothes, made dinners, texted, called, and offered everything from extra beds to taxi services when needed. :) This group of family away from home has given me hope that our return to life will be smoother than last time, and maybe even fun! And all across the country, friends and family have been sending love and goodwill through sweet messages, phone calls, cards, and packages.

We are all safe and healthy. After our experience with Walt's birth, we spent the first days of Isannah's life waiting for the other shoe to drop. She couldn't possibly be perfect. There must be something for us to worry over...but there hasn't been. She didn't even have to have light therapy for jaundice. Just nothing. It's such a different road to travel and we have felt so much peace since she came to be with our family.

We love this girl and everything she has brought with her. I can't wait to see her grow and develop over the next year and see what her personality will be like!

No comments: