Saturday, August 24, 2013

Bainbridge Island

We have a lot of updating to do around here! Summer has been C-R-A-Z-Y but so fun!

While my parents were here, we took a trip via ferry to Bainbridge Island. I have a friend who loves this place and had recommended it, and I really wanted my parents to experience a ferry ride while they were here, so off we went.
The ferry was awesome. I love living by the water so much! And to go South and get the awesome skyline view was perfect. It was a beautifully clear day and we were treated a fantastic view of Mt. Rainer. Walt wasn't loving the wind on deck, but he liked being on a "big boat."
Once we got to the island, we made the mistake of trying to explore on our own. And while we did have lunch on the beach, there are definitely better beaches in and around Seattle.

One interesting thing was the Japanese Internment Camp memorial. The first Japanese Americans to be turned out of their homes during WW2 were from Bainbridge. The memorial was pretty and really interesting.

From there, we drove around a bit and tried to find a military fort (unsuccessfully). We wound up back at the main part of town where we browsed the shops and ate some delicious ice cream at Mora.

Bainbridge Island was fun -- getting there is definitely 2/3 of that fun. It was a lovely place to visit, but not my favorite. Bainbridge wasn't on our bucket list but I am glad we went, and I'll rate it:
Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful place, and the ferry ride is probably 5 stars. But getting there is expensive and I just didn't think there was anything there that we couldn't have done on the mainland and had just as much fun. Luckily, any time spent with my Mom and Dad is a blast and we made the most of it!

No comments: