Thursday, September 11, 2014

Pinterest Playdate

While Landon was off traveling in Switzerland a couple of weeks ago, I tried to keep myself and the kids busy so that we wouldn't go crazy on our own! I decided that maybe it was time to try all of those Pinterest activities that I spend half of my free time looking at and NEVER do. So we I invited some of our good friends over and we had a little "Pinterest Playdate!"
The first thing we tried was "magic" squeezable chalk. (idea from here)

This was basically food coloring, baking soda, and cornstarch mixed into condiment bottles. According to the website I found this on, you can use any squeezable bottles, but since the kids were so little, I felt like the see-through bottles really added to this activity. So that's the only thing I bought for the day. I think they were worth it.
Verdict? The boys LOVED this one. They squeezed all of the colors out all over our parking lot. They didn't actually "draw" much, but that wasn't really the point. When they were done, we let them squirt vinegar on top of their "art." They were thrilled with the bubbles that appeared. The only downside was that this activity didn't last very long - they had all of the bottles emptied out within maybe ten minutes at the most. I'd definitely do this again, but I think I'll try to collect a few more bottles so we can have more colors and it will last longer next time.

Activity number 2 was "apple boats." (idea from here)

I mostly did this one because it was incredibly easy and the little boy we invited over is obsessed with apples, so I knew he'd like it. I didn't bother with the foam, just cut squares of paper for "sails."
Verdict? The boys liked this ok...Walt played with his apple for a few minutes. I tried to get him to blow on the sail and make it move, but he wasn't really getting it. He just liked splashing in the water. As predicted, Walt's friend was just excited to have an apple, and quickly ate it up! I probably won't do this again, or at least not until Walt is a lot older. I think bath toys outside would have been just as fun for the two toddlers. This might also be better in a yard with a bigger pool.

The last thing we did was come inside and "paint" popcorn. (idea from here)

Again, super easy. (are you sensing a theme here? I picked the easy ones. :)) Just mix food coloring with milk, pop some popcorn and throw in some marshmallows. Again, all things I had on hand.

Verdict? The boys really liked it. Walt wouldn't have anything to do with the popcorn really but he enjoyed dunking the marshmallows into the colored milk and then eating them. His friend did the same with the popcorn, but wasn't into the marshmallows. So it was kind of perfect that way. It was also surprisingly not that messy! I will definitely do this again - I think it'd be a perfect transition activity for preschool. But for younger kids, I think I'll maybe skip the paintbrushes all together. And if it were just Walt, I'd get bigger marshmallows and stick with that. Or maybe try some other light colored foods that I know he likes.

I think the kids both had a lot of fun, and I felt strangely satisfied when it was over. It was nice to feel like all of those hours I spend browsing Pinterest accomplished something! I want to do another indoor Pinterest Playdate with more friends when the rain comes. It's a great way to give the kids an outlet and get to spend some bonus time with my favorite people!

No comments: