Thursday, October 13, 2011

Dirty Little Secret

We have a secret. Our life is not always perfect. In fact, our life isn't even always under control...
Lately, this is what a typical day for me looks like:

12:01 am - finish putting dinner for the upcoming day together (if we don't do this we don't eat until ten.) Drop into bed exhausted and fall immediately asleep.
3:37 am - wake up to Walt's less-than-endearing shreaks. Pick him up, try to comfort him.
3:39 am - give in and feed Walt.
4:13 am - wake up with massive crick in the neck...take Walt back to his crib.
6:00 am - hear alarm clock.
6:25 am - wake up rather violently, realize that it's late. Wonder why you didn't hear the alarm clock.
6:26 am - get up, shower, get as ready for the day as possible without making loud noises.
7:14 am - try to wake Walt with no success.
7:15 am - commence blow drying and other noisy tasks. Pack bags. Landon rushes off to school.
7:45 am - Feed Walt.
7:55 am - Feed Walt.
8:00 am - Wrestle Walt into car seat.
8:15 am - Arrive at daycare completely frazzled. Drop Walt at door with a kiss goodbye and run.
8:29 am - Arrive at work...not quite 30 minutes late.
8:30 am - 10:20 am - frantically try to catch up on work for the day. Remember at least 5 things forgotten yesterday.
10:23 am - Remember you needed to pump 23 minutes ago.
10:25-10:55 am - sit in cold tiny room with no cell phone coverage because it's the only secluded place you can pump. Remember 3 more things you forgot to do yesterday.
11:00 am - Listen to 2 new voice mails that arrived while you were gone. Add items to to-do list.
11:05 am - 1:25 pm - catch up on list of forgotten tasks. Field 14 new requests. Lament the loss of your student assistant.
1:25 pm - Realize you are STARVING.
1:30- 1:45 - eat lunch
2:00 pm - Remember you should have pumped 30 minutes ago.
2:45-4:40 pm - Finish catching up on forgotten tasks, start on today's to-do list
4:40 pm - Start to panic at the rate the to-do list is growing
5:03 pm - Run out the door even though you still have 10+ things on the to-do list
5:15 pm - Arrive at daycare 5 minutes late to pick up Walt
6:00 pm - Arrive home. Haul crying baby into house and feed him ASAP.
6:45 pm-7:15 pm - Eat dinner
7:30 pm-8:30 pm - Convince Walt he's not hungry again. Play with and hold him, try to make the most of our single hour together
8:30 pm - Bath time
8:45- pm - Feed Walt, put him to bed
9:00 pm - Run to store for weekly groceries
9:30 - 11:00 pm - Do dishes, pick up house, repack diaper bag, pack lunches, wash bottles, pick one thing to clean that has been driving you crazy for the last 5 days, throw in laundry, fold laundry from 3 days ago...or if you are Landon, do homework, homework, grade papers, and more homework.
11:00 pm - 12:01 am - Make dinner for the next day.

Sometimes we manage to make it to bed by 11:00, and often Walt will sleep until 5am instead of waking up at 3am -- but other than that I am not exaggerating. Landon's schedule is even crazier. He has been working Saturdays as well, and on Tuesdays and Thursdays he takes a GRE prep course until 9:00 p.m. Needless to say, we've had a bit of trouble unpacking boxes and making our new apartment feel homey.

Two weeks ago, we swallowed our pride and sent out a cry for help. My lovely mother-in-law immediately made plans to come for the weekend. She cleaned our kitchen, played with Walt, unpacked 6,000+ boxes, hung pictures, did laundry, and generally restored order to the home and family. Thanks to her, I feel like we have a life again: a starting point to maintain instead of a mountain to climb each day. THANK YOU Elizabeth!!! I didn't like admitting that we couldn't do it ourselves, but it was worth it. And Walt loved him some extra Grandma time.

Even though we rarely see each other, we do try to make the most of those short dinner times and the hour we have with Walt in the evenings by keeping the TV off and playing and talking instead. We also started doing a family walk each Sunday. It has made a HUGE difference.

I am doing my best not to wish this semester away. Part of me wants it to just be Christmas break already, with Landon home and lots of family time. Next semester he is only taking 1 class, and while preparing his Thesis will take up a substantial chunk of time, he will definitely be home more. However, I know that this time with Walt, as a long, skinny baby who still stays where I put him and offers up the best gummy smiles when we talk to him, is fleeting and precious. I want to enjoy each moment possible with him and drink in his smallness. It is a daily battle, but I think on most days, I am able to enjoy this phase in our lives. And just one look at this little face reminds me that I have already won.


Amy Diestler said...

I am exhausted just reading this! You poor thing . . . I don't know how you do it. Hang in there, you're doing a great job. :-)

Ashley Ferguson Moreno said...

It won't last forever. It won't last forever. It won't last forever:)

Natalie Ormond said...

Kylie, you are Superwoman! This will be my life in 2 weeks when I return to work. I FEEL your pain of wanting to get things done and it taking days to do them. BTW, Walt is so adorable. :)

Samuel and Camille said...

Wow, what long days...I feel ya...last night was non stop screaming from 11-5 for us!!! It will pass, these little lads are so worth it!!!

Craig and Sarah said...

Holy Cow super mom!! I have no idea how you do it!! You are my inspiration and hero!