Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Political Corner - debate #2

I know I disappointed a lot of people by not posting about the previous debates. Unfortunately, I didn't see much of the vice-presidential debate because we had a crazy night (unless you count the SNL recap). I was watching tonight, however, and here are a few notes/thoughts. Keep in mind that these are not all the questions, just a few that I thought were interesting:


Treasury Secretary Appointment Ideas:

McCain – Meg Whitman (Former CEO of Ebay)

Obama – Warren Buffett (Richest man in the world…I’m not sure what other credentials you really need…)

How is the bailout going to help average Americans?

McCain –Stabilize markets, shore up institutions, but “it’s not enough.”

Obama – free up credit so small businesses and large businesses alike can get loans and make payroll to avoid layoffs. “We shouldn’t have been there in the first place.”


What Sacrifices do you Expect Americans to Make?

McCain – Understanding as the government eliminates programs

Obama – Save energy in their own homes


Obama Doctrine: We have a moral obligation to intercede in cases of genocide and ethnic cleansing

McCain Doctrine: We should only interfere if we are able to benefit the situation


How can we apply pressure to Russia?

McCain – Show moral support for Georgia and Ukraine, advocate for NATO membership, make Putin understand that there are penalties for their actions.

Obama – Must provide moral support to Poland, Latvia, etc., but we must also provide them with financial and concrete assistance to rebuild their economies. We also have to reduce petro dollars by being energy independent.

What don’t you know, and how will you learn it?

Obama – The presidency is never about the challenges that you expect. I know that I wouldn’t be standing here if it weren’t for the fact that this country gave me opportunity. So what I don’t know if how to pass on the American dream to the next generation of people.

McCain – What I don’t know it what is going to happen, both here and abroad. But I know what it’s like in dark times. I know what it’s like to fight to keep one’s hope going in tough times…


My first impression of the debate is that Obama won it, hands down. McCain seemed to be dodging a lot of the questions. I

wanted more substance on the issues, and although Obama’s plans don’t always make sense to me (for nstance…how are

you going to invest $15 billion/year for the next ten years in energy, plus pass a $3 billion tax break, and still cut

spending?), but at least his plans were laid out on the table tonight in most issues (the subject of Pakistan perhaps being

one exception).

Prediction: SNL this week will feature Tom Brokaw ranting about time overages and no one listening to a word he

says…McCain talking WAY overtime, and Obama having a really goofy look on his face during McCain’s speeches. You just

wait and see.

No comments: